Thursday, June 14, 2012

On My Addiction to Technology

It's true.  I am a gadget gal.  I love iPods, GPS watches, smart phones, and computers that are faster than blazes (an inept analogy, given how inconsistently fires travel).  When I run, I have an iPod clipped to my waist, a heart rate monitor wrapped around my chest, and a GPS watch on my wrist.  When I get home, I download my runs onto my computer and plug them in to three different websites.  The iPod data goes to Nikeplus.com, the GPS data goes to Garmin Connect, and then I sync the Garmin data with Dailymile.com.

This is all insane, and writing it down makes it even more overwhelming how much I have let technology influence my runs.  But I can't stop.  I crave data.  What was my fastest pace?  My slowest? How did my average heart rate from today's run compare to my run this time last week?  Last month?  Am I getting faster?  Am I consistent?  It all feeds my need to know, and it's information that I would not have but for all the tech I carry with me on every run.

Heck, today I even thought about adding my cell phone to the mix.  I had downloaded an app called CharityMile, which uses sponsorships to donate money to charity for every mile you run, walk, or bike.  As I was unlocking the door to step outside, with an extra running pouch strapped around my waist, I realized that I had finally hit the breaking point.  The running pouch I would have to use to carry my phone is a thing that I hate.  I used to wear it with my original style iPod before I got my iPod Nano (yes, I own more than one iPod and no, I don't think that's weird because they serve entirely different purposes).  It would bounce up and down as I ran, and the feeling of it smacking the top of my ass withe very damn step nearly drove me insane.  But it was better, I thought, than running in silence.  And then I got my Nano and all of my problems were solved.

I vowed that day that I would stop wearing it, and I have done pretty well with that.  I haven't worn it since.  And unless I'm on a long run, I don't need my phone because I'm not straying too far from home, so there was no reason to even think about bringing it with me.  Yet here I was, trying to add one more gadget so I could have less than $1.00 donated to charity for my run.  Does every cent help in this economy?  Yes.  And I was going to break my anti-pouch vow to bring them the change they would get from my run.

Except, at the last moment, I decided I did not need another piece of data.  I did not need another gadget on me as I ran.  I took my phone out of the pouch and put it back in my purse.  Then I took off that stupid pouch and dropped it in front of Johnny Ringo, my big black and white cat.  I figured he would bat it around until I couldn't find the damn thing anymore, and then when I moved it would simply be a sad piece of detritus that I could leave behind me.

So, with my heart rate monitor, GPS watch, and iPod Nano, I started my morning run.  The sad part?  Leaving the phone behind allowed me to feel at least a little bit low-tech.  Which just goes to show you how well runners can delude themselves when they need to.

Speaking of all this tech, though, if you are a runner, bicyclist, or workout enthusiast of any kind, please feel free to friend me on DailyMile.  My name there is Marley Cats.  As it always is.

But for now, I'm off to clean the dust off my feet and head to bed.  I recently joined a kickball league, and despite our losing streak I'm enjoying the heck out of it.  But it does make your feet terrifically dusty.

Until next time!

Meowfully yours,
Marley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share!