Sunday, June 17, 2012

Learning By Doing

Consistency is helpful because there is so much to learn from it.

My plan to run the Chicago Marathon is a run/walk plan.  I plan to walk at a fast pace for 4 minutes and then run as close to full-out as I can for 1 minute.  So far, this is keeping me at about a 12 min/mile pace.  But, there's a lot more to consider.  My long run yesterday, and I was also trying to figure out my schedule for hydrating and eating.  I took a sip of water after every run break, and at the end of every mile I ate one GU Chomp.

The Chomps are like gels, only they're the consistency of gummy bears.  I can't stand the gels, so I go with their alternatives.  They are awesome, and the plan worked like a charm.  My energy level kept up through the entire run, and I felt good afterwards.  Consistency helps during a run because it means that you always have sufficient water and fuel to keep you going.

Plus, it means you get into a habit.  You don't have to think so much about running and you can focus on the sights around you.  Like the woman I saw running yesterday, like actually going at a jog, in neon green gladiator sandals.  It kind of threw me off, because I thought at first that she was running barefoot, but no she had itty bitty little thong sandals on.  It was bizarre!

Although, after my run on Saturday I have a bone to pick with the USA Track and Field Association.  I like to know my route before I go out.  I want to know where I'm going and approximately where my mile markers are.  So I tend to go to their mapping site and plan out routes before I leave in the mornings on my long runs.

The past two weekends, I have plotted out 6 mile routes.  Both times, I have gone the entire route and found that I was at least a mile and a half short of where I should have been.  It ticked me off, because when I got to what I thought was the end of my run, I then had to keep going.  If you've ever run to a finish line, only to be told you have to keep going, you can understand my frustration.

So, I'm a bit disappointed with that particular service.  I figured I would put it out here in case I'm not the only one availing myself of their mapping site.

For now, though, off to the office!  There's work to do, and I have to spend this post-run energy on something!

Until next time.

Meowfully yours,
Marley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share!