Wednesday, June 15, 2016

McKenna Rayne

On June 4th, just 11 days ago, I got news that I had been matched to a beautiful little girl named McKenna Rayne. I was to be her Runner through I Run 4, dedicating my runs and workouts to McKenna, who would never be able to run on her own. Nine days after I was matched with her, McKenna passed away.

When she was born, her parents were told that she might not live to see her first birthday, but McKenna was a fighter and her parents fought with her every step of the way. McKenna was 14 months old when she died. She would have been 15 months old this coming Saturday, June 18th. McKenna knew nothing but love during her life, and I don't know many people who can say that.

Recently, I spoke with McKenna's mom, and offered to continue to be McKenna's Runner. I only got to be her Runner for 9 days while she was alive, but being McKenna's runner is not a commitment that ends with her last breath. Tonight, I went on my first run in McKenna's memory.

If you know me, you know that I'm not a very religious person. Spiritual, yes. Religious, no. But I swear on everything I have ever believed that tonight I had an angel with me on my run. Maybe that feeling on my run tonight was a trick of my mind. Maybe it was a buildup of lactic acid, or the stress of running fast enough to break into the anaerobic stage of a workout. Yeah. Maybe. I think it was McKenna. I was tired, but my feet got faster. The leaves weren't moving, but I swear there was a breeze behind me. I never got to meet McKenna in real life, but I think I met her in spirit tonight.

It's fitting that, upon getting her angel wings, McKenna would visit her Runner during a run. Not because I'm particularly important, and not because we had a bond that was more special than the bond she had with anyone else who loved her. It's because McKenna knew nothing but love, and so she had and has nothing but love to give. As soon as she got wings, once she had a strength of body that she was denied in this life, the first thing she did with it was to come and give me strength, to help me during my run.

I ran 3.5 miles for you, McKenna. But really I ran them with you. You were there, and I am so honored that you visited with me. I'm sorry I didn't have the chance to know you better when you were here, but my miles will continue to be dedicated to your memory.

We say that everyone's life has a purpose, and sometimes it might be hard to see how a person as small and young as you could have a chance to fulfill their purpose. But you did everything you ever wanted to do in this life, McKenna. You brought love to this world, love and light. And all of us, even in our deepest sadness at your passing, are brighter and more filled with love for having known you.

We miss you, McKenna Rayne, and we will love you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share!